PROFESSOR EMERITUS DATO’ DR. HASSAN SAID
Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM)
Emeritus Professor Dato’ Dr Hassan Said is currently the Vice-Chancellor of Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM). Prior to this appointment, he was the Vice Chancellor and President of Taylor’s University. He was appointed as the Director General of the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia from January 2005 until April 2008. He was also the Director, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Education Malaysia, a position he held since May 1998 before his appointment as the Director General.
He obtained his
- Bachelor degree in Mathematics from the University of Manchester, UK in 1979
- Master of Science from Brunel University, UK in 1981 and
- PhD from Brunel University UK in 1984 – area specialisation is Computer Aided Geometric Design.
He joined Universiti Sains Malaysia in 1984 as a lecturer in Mathematics at the School of Mathematical Sciences, and was later appointed Dean of the school in 1990. He was then appointed as the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic) of the university in1995, before being seconded to the Ministry of Education in 1998 as the Director of the Department of Higher Education.
Emeritus Professor Dato’ Dr Hassan has been appointed as a member of the Board of Directors of various local public and private universities, and council members of various local and international bodies including the Governing Board Member of the South- East Asia Minister of Education for the Regional Centre of Higher Education (SEAMEO- RIHED) from 1999-2008. He currently sits as a member of the Board of Directors of Asia e University (AeU), and Chairman, Board of Directors, Kolej Universiti Islam Perlis. He is also a board member of the Security Commission Malaysia (SC) and also in its Capital Market Development Fund (CMDF) Board. He was a member of the National Higher Education Council (MPTN), and currently is heading the Science and Mathematics Cluster of the National Professorial Council (MPN).
He is a Fellow of the Malaysian Mathematical Society, Fellow Institute of Mathematical and Its Applications, United Kingdom (FIMA) and Fellow Academy Science of Malaysia (FASc).
Emeritus Professor Dato’ Dr Hassan has received a number of Federal and State Honours, including JMN (Federal), DPMP (Perlis), DMSM (Melaka), DSPN (Penang), PGBK (Sarawak) and DPMK (Kelantan). He has also received the Chevalier de l’ Ordre National du Merite Award from the Government of France.
Emeritus Professor Dato’ Dr Hassan received the following Honorary Awards:
- Honorary Doctor of Science from Universiti Malaysia Perlis (UNiMAP)
- Honorary Doctor of Science from Multimedia University Malaysia (MMU)
- Honorary Doctor of Engineering from The University of Birmingham (UOB), UK
- Doctor of Business Administration (Honorary) from University of West England, UK
- Honorary Doctor of Educational Leadership from Asia e-University, Malaysia (AeU)
- Honorary of Doctor in Human Resources Management from Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia (USIM)
- Doctor Honoris Causa, University of Toulouse Jean Jaures, France
- Emeritus Professor, Universiti Sains Malaysia
- Honorary Doctor in Law, University of Nottingham, UK