HASSAN BIN SAID
Vice-Chancellor Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM)
Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM) 40450 Shah Alam, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Date of Birth: 1 January 1955
Marital Status: Married with a son and two daughters
- 1968 – 1973 - Sekolah Tuanku Abdul Rahman, Ipoh, Perak.
- 1974 – 1976 - Huddersfield Technical College, West Yorkshire, England.
- June 1979 - B.Sc. (Maths) Manchester University, England
- November 1981 - M.Sc. (Num. Analysis) Brunel University, England
- May 1984 - Ph.D. (CAGD) Brunel University, England
- August 2009 - DSc (Honorary) Universiti Malaysia Perlis
- July 2010 -DSc (Honorary) Mutimedia University Malaysia
- December 2010 - DEng (Honorary) Birmingham University, England
- November 2012 - DBA (Honorary) University of West England, England
- April 2013 - Doctor of Educational Leadership (Honorary) Asia e-University, Malaysia
- November 2013 - Doctor of Human Resource Management (Honorary) Universiti Sains Islam, Malaysia
- June 2014 - Doctor Honoris Causa, University of Toulouse Jean Jaures, France
- November 2015 - Emeritus Professor Universiti Sains Malaysia
- February 2016 - Doctor in Law (Honorary) University of Nottingham, UK
- June 1984 – March 1990: Lecturer
- March 1990 – March 1995: Associate Professor
- April 1995 – Present: Professor
- Dec 1990 – Sept 1995: Dean
- Oct 1995 – April 1998: Deputy Vice Chancellor
- May 1998 – Dec 2004: Director, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Education Malaysia
- Jan 2005 - April 2008: Director General, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia
- Aug 2008 - Jan 2016: Vice-Chancellor & President Taylor’s University
- Feb 2016 – Present: Vice Chancellor Universiti Teknologi MARA
- 1987: University’s ExcellentService Award
- Oct 1989 – July 1990: Commonwealth Fellowship at Dundee University Scotland
- August 1990: Maths. Soc. Of Japan Fellowship, ICM90, Kyoto Univ. Japan
- 1993: University’s Excellent ervice Award
- Feb. 1999: United States Information Agency, USA
- 1996 - Darjah Johan Negeri (DJN) P. Pinang
- 2000 - Johan Mangku Negara (JMN)
- 2003 - Darjah Setia Pangkuan Negeri, P.Pinang (DSPN)
- 2003 - Dato’ Paduka Mahkota Perlis (DPMP)
- 2004 - Darjah Mulia Seri Melaka (DMSM)
- 2006 - Panglima Gemilang Bintang Kenyalang (PGBK), Serawak
- 2007 - Chevalier de Ia Legion d’Honneur Government of France
- 2016 - Ahli Yang Kedua (Dato’ Paduka) Bagi Darjah Kebesaran Mahkota Kelantan Yang Amat Mulia (DPMK)
- Fellow, Institute of Mathematics and its Application, United Kingdom (C.Math, FIMA)
- Fellow, Malaysian Mathematical Society
- Fellow, Academy Science of Malaysia (FASc)
Computer-Aided Geometric Design (CAGD)
- Teaching Calculus, Differential Equation, Numerical Methods and Computational Geometry for undergraduates.
- Teaching Geometric Modeling and Splines to postgraduates.
- 1988 – 1995: Coordinator, IRPA Grant on CAD/CAM projects. Sponsored by the Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment, Malaysia.
- 1987 – 1995: Coordinator, Computer Graphics and Splines Project (with Dundee University). Sponsored by the British Council and USM (CICHE Project 710).
- 1996 – 1998: Coordinator, IRPA Grant on “Geometric Modeling Project” sponsored by the Ministry of Science and Environment, Malaysia.
- Postgraduate supervision:
- Azizi Othman, Techniques of Hidden Surfaces (M.Sc. – successfully completed 1988).
- Nain Awang, Mathematical Algorithms of CAGD (M.Sc. – successfully completed 1991).
- Lawrence Chang, Shading Object for the FEM (M.Sc. – successfully completed 1991).
- Rahmita Wirza, Scattered Data Interpolation (M.Sc. – successfully completed 1994).
- Lawrence Chang, Scattered Data Interpolation Schemes for Curves and Surfaces (Ph.D - successfully completed 1997).
- Wan Ainon Meor Othman, Dual basis functions for curves and surfaces (Ph.D - successfully completed October 2000).
- Postgraduate Internal Examiner
- Liang Mui Yong (M.Sc. 1988)
- Cheah Seong Leong (M.Sc. 1988)
- Undergraduate Project Supervision:
- 1985 – 1994 : average 2 projects a year
- Reviewer for ACM Transaction on Graphics
- Reviewer for Journal of Computer Aided Design
- Reviewer for Journal of Computer Aided Geometric Design
- Member of Editorial Board, Journal of Physical Sciences
- Associate Editor, Menemui Matematik (Discovery of Mathematics), Malaysian Mathematical Society
- Reviewer, Malaysian Journal of Computer Science
- Reviewer, Computer Graphics International, 1996
- Reviewer, for the appointment of Associate Professor, Universiti Malaya (1995)
- Reviewer for the appointment of Professor, Universiti Pertanian Malaysia (1996)
- Reviewer for the appointment of Associate Professor and Professor, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (1996, 1999)
- Reviewer for the appointment of Associate Professor, Universiti Utara Malaysia (1997, 1998, 2000)
- Evaluation Panel, MPKSN Mathematical Education Awards (1997)
- Chairman, Evaluation Panel, MPKSN Mathematical Education Awards (1999)
- Evaluation Panel, National Science Awards (2003)
- Chairman, Evaluation Panel, National Young Scientists Award (2004)
- Member, National Intellectual Property Award Jury (2007)
- Reviewer for the appointment of Professor, King Abdul Aziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia (2012)
Activities at Universiti Sains Malaysia (1984 – 1998)
- Oct 1995 – April 1998: Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic Affairs)
- Dec 1990 – Sept 1995: Dean, School of Mathematical Sciences
- Jan – May 1988: Acting Deputy Dean, School of Mathematical Computer Sciences
- Oct – Dec 1990: Acting Deputy Dean, School of Mathematical Computer Sciences
- 1987 – 1989: Appointed Member, University Senate
- 1987 – 1990: Chairman, Applied Science Programme, School of Mathematical & Computer Sciences
- 1985 – 1991: Chairman, Research/Colloquium Committee, School of Mathematical & Computer Sciences
- 1986 – 1987: Member, University Publication Committee
- 1986: Committee member, Academic & Admin. Staff Association, USM
- 1987 – 1990: Member, Computer Facilities Committee, School of Mathematical & Computer Sciences
- 1985 – 1988: President, Malaysian Mathematical Society, Penang Branch
- 1985 – 1988: Examiner/Chief Examiner, Malaysian Examination Council
- 1986 – 1994: Committee Member, JPMAU/MABBIM, Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka
- 1990/91: Committee Member, Parent-Teacher Committee (PIBG), S.K. Sungai Glugor, Penang
- 1990: Chairman, Organizing Committee, Symposium Kebangsaan Sains Matematik Ke-IV (4th National Symposium on Mathematical Sciences)
- 1991 – 1993: Technical Advisor, POPTD and BSPP, Ministry of Defence
- 1992 – 1994: Member, Committee on Mathematical Books, DBP-Higher Learning Institutions
- 1994: Chairman, Organizing Committee, International Conference on Computer Aided Geometric Design, Penang, 4 – 8 July 1994
- 1995: International Program Committee, 3rd Pacific Conference on Computer Graphics Applications, Seoul, Korea, August 1995
- 1995: International Committee Member, First Asian Technology Conference in Mathematics, Singapore December 1995
- 1997: International Program Committee, 5th Pacific Graphic Conference, Seoul, Korea, October 1997
- 1997: Program Committee, International Conference on Information Visualisation-IV, London, England, August 1997
Activities at the Ministry of Education / Ministry of Higher Education (1998 – 2008)
- Executive Committee, East Asian Section of the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (EASIAM) (1999).
- Program Committee, Information Visualisation 2000 (IV2000) Conference, London, England, July 2000
- Steering Committee Member, ASEM IV Lifelong Learning Initiative .(2001/2002)
- Member of the Board of Directors of Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (1999 – 2003), Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris (1999 – 2003), Universiti Teknologi MARA (2003 – Present), Kolej Universiti Sains dan Teknologi Malaysia (2001 – 2003), Kolej Universiti Kejuruteraan Utara Malaysia/Universiti Malaysia Perlis (2003 – 2008), Open University Malaysia (2005 – 2008) , Universiti Pertahanan Nasional Malaysia (2007- 2008), Asia e-University (2007 – 2008).
- Alternate Member of the Board of Directors of Universiti Malaysia Sabah (1999 – 2003), Universiti Putra Malaysia (1999 – 2003), Universiti Tenaga Nasional (2000 – 2006) and Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (2003 – 2005).
- Member, Board of Directors of the Malaysian American Commission of Education Exchange (MACEE) and MACEE Education Committee Chairman (1999-2008).
- Governing Board Member of SEAMEO Regional Centre for Higher Education and Development (RIHED) (1999-2008).
- Chairman, Majlis Penerbitan Ilmiah Malaysia (MAPIM) (1999 – 2008)
- Scientific Committee, Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (ISESCO) (2000).
- World Conferences on Higher Education Committee, International Follow Up Committee, UNESCO, (1999/2000).
- Council Member, PEMADAM, Malaysia (2001-2003).
- Rapporteur UNESCO World Conference on Higher Education, Paris (2003).
- Member Bahasa Melayu International Council (2001-2005).
- Advisory Council Of The Commonwealth Educational Media Centre For Asia (CEMCA), (2007 – 2008)
- Professional Development Panel, International Centre For Education Islamic France (INCEIF), Malaysia (2006 – 2008)
Activities at Taylor’s University (2008 – 2016)
- Member of the Board of Directors of Open University Malaysia (2008 – 2016), Kolej Yayasan Sabah ( 2008 – 2014)
- Professional Development Panel, International Centre For Education Islamic France (INCEIF), Malaysia (2008 – 2014)
- Member, Academic Audit Panel, Malaysian Qualification Agency (MQA) (2009 – 2010)
- Deputy Chairman, Accreditation Committee ( Science), Malaysia Qualification Agency (2010 – 2011)
- Ahli Mesyuarat, Jawatankuasa Baitulmal Negeri Perlis (2010 – 2012)
- Chairman, Private Higher Education Act 555 Policy Review Committee, Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia (2013)
Activities at Universiti Teknologi MARA (2016 – Present)
- Board Member, Capital Market Development Fund (CMDF), Security Commission, Malaysia (2010 – Present)
- Member, National Higher Education Council (MPTN), Ministry of Education Malaysia (2011 - 2015).
- Chairman, Board of Directors, Kolej Universiti Islam Perlis (2013 – Present)
- Advisory Board Member, Malaysia France University Centre (2015 – Present)
- Advisory Board Member, Akademi Kepimpinan Pengajian Tinggi (AKEPT) (2015 – Present)
- Advisory Higher Education Accreditation Appeal Committee, Ministry of Higher Education (2016 – Present)
- Head, Science and Mathematics Cluster, Majlis Profesor Negara (MPN), (2016 – Present)
- Board of Directors, Security Commission Malaysia, (2016 – Present)
- W.S. Tan, H.L. Koh, M.B. Jantan and H.B. Said, A Program in Computer- Based Modeling, Proceeding ASAIHL Seminar, Hong Kong, 84-88, 1986
- Hassan Said, Kepingan Segitiga Berjenis Bezier, Proceedings 2nd National Symposium on Mathematical Sciences, UKM, 285-296, 1986
- H.B. Said, C1 Interpolation on a Polygon, Applied Mathematics and Computation, 27, 217-229, 1988.
- H.B. Said, Generalised Ball Curve and its Recursive Algorithm, ACM Trans. On Graphics, 8, 360-371, 1989.
- Hassan Said, Bezier-Ball Type Cubic Curves and Surfaces, Sains Malaysiana, 4, 85-95, 1990.
- T.N.T. Goodman and H.B. Said, Geometric Construction of the G2 Quintic Generalised Ball Curves, Journal of Physical Sciences 2, 23-32, 1991.
- T.N.T. Goodman and H.B. Said, C1 Triangular Interpolant which is suitable for Scattered Data Interpolation, Commun. Applied Num. Methods, 7, 479-485, 1991.
- T.N.T. Goodman and H.B. Said, Shape Preserving Properties of the Generalised Ball Basis, Computer Aided Geometric Design, 8, 115-121, 1991.
- T.N.T. Goodman and H.B. Said, Properties of Generalised Ball Curves and Surfaces, Computer-Aided Design, 23, 554-561, 1991.
- Hassan Said, Interpolasi Pengekalan Corak, Proceedings 5th National Symposium on Mathematical Sciences, UTM, 131-145, 1992.
- B. Said and R. Wirza, A Cubic Ball Triangular Patch for Scattered Data Interpolation, Journal of Physical Sciences, 5, 77-87, 1994.
- N.T. Goodman, H.B. Said, L.H.T. Chang, Local Derivative Estimation for Scattered Data Interpolation, Applied Mathematics and Computation, 68, 41-50, 1995.
- H.B. Said, Derivative Estimation by Using convex Combination Scheme, SEA Bull. Math., 19, 3, 69-76, 1995.
- L.H.T. Chang and H.B. Said, Hybrid Curvature Continous Interpolation Scheme, Annals of Numerical Mathematics, 3, 31-42, 1996.
- L.H.T. Chang and H.B. Said, A C2 Triangular Patch for the Interpolation of Functional Scattered Data, Computer Aided Design, 29, 407-412, 1997.
- Geometri Pengkiraan untuk Rekabentuk dan Perkilangan, Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka, 1990 (translation: Faux & Pratt, Computational Geometry for Design and Manufacture, Ellis Horwood, 1980).
- Computer Aided Geometric Design (special issue of annals of Numerical Mathematics vol.3), Baltzer Science Publishers, 1996 (joint editors).
Papers Presented At Conference/Seminar
- Hassan Said, A Polygonal Surface Patch for Computer-Aided Geometric Design (paper presented at the Third FRANC)-SEAMS Conference, Kuala Lumpur, 1985).
- H.B. Said, A C1 Triangular Patch for Scattered Data Interpolation (paper presented at the International Congress of Mathematicians, Kyoto, Japan, 1990).
- Hassan Said, Lengkung and Permukaan untuk CAGD (paper presented at the Malaysian mathematical Society Seminar, Kuala Lumpur, 1991).
- Hassan Said, Designing Objects for CAD/CAM (paper presented at the National Seminar on IRPA: Strategic Sector, Penang, 1991).
- Hassan Said, Interpolasi Data Berselerak (paper presented at the Seminar Matematik antara Universiti, Serdang, Selangor, 1991).
- H.B. Said, Univariate and Bivariate Generalised Ball Basis (paper presented at the International Conference on Computer Aided Geometric Design, Penang, 1994).
- Hassan Said, Keposititifan Menyeluruh untuk Perwakilan Pengekalan Corak (paper presented at the National Symposium on Mathematical Sciences VI, Kuala Lumpur, 1994).
- “Issues on Mathematical Research”, Invited Panel, 3rd National Symposium on Mathematical Science, UPM, 1988.
- “Computer Aided Geometric Design”, Invited Talk for the Department of Mathematics, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Skudai, Johore, August 1991.
- Chairman of Panel Discussion, War Gaming and Combined Arms Seminar, Ministry of Defence, Kuala Lumpur 1992.
- Speaker for Bengkel Motivasi UPSR, PIBG S.K Sg. Glugor, 1992, 1993, 1994 and 1995.
- “Issues on the Effect of Computers to the Development of Mathematics”, Invited Panel, 5th National Symposium on Mathematical Science UTM, 1992.
- “ How to Make Mathematics Interesting?”, Invited Talk to the Maktab Perguruan Sultan Abd. Hamid, Sg. Petani, Kedah, 1993.
- “Free Form Curves and Surfaces in CAGD”, Seminar for the Department of Mathematics, University of Adelaide, Australia, November 1994.
- “AC2 Triangular Interpolant”, Seminar on Free Form Curves and Surfaces, Mathematical Research Institute, Oberwolfach, Germany, 4-10 June 1995.
- “Enhancing Quality at Universiti Sains Malaysia”, Invited Paper to the First Asian – Pacific Conference on Higher Education, National Cheng Kung University, Taiwan, June 1996.
- “Cabaran dan Halatuju Sains Matematik ke Abad 21 (Challenges and Directions of Mathematical Sciences in the 21st Century)” Invited Speaker, 7th National Symposium on Mathematical Sciences, ITM December 1996.
- “Reformasi Pendidikan Negara ke Abad 21” (National Education Reformation in the 21st Century), Invited Speaker Malaysian Armed Forces Defence College, August 1998.
- “Pendidikan Sains dan Teknologi – satu Tinjauan (Science and Tecnology Education – An Overview)”, Invited Speaker, Perak State’s Seminar in Science and Technology, October 1998.
- “Komitmen Kementerian Pendidikan Terhadap Pelapes Dalam Era Pengkoporatan” Seminar Pelapes, November 1998.
- “IPTA : Masalah dan Cabaran (Problems and Challenges at the Public Higher Education Institutions) invited Speaker, Kongres Pendidikan Peringkat Kebangsaan (National Congress on Education), UKM, December 1999.
- Invited Speaker for the Kongres Profesionalisme Muda Melayu 2000 Kuala Lumpur, 2000
- “The Strategic Direction of Higher Education in Malaysia” International Conference on Policy Issues in Higher Education in the new Millennium, Universiti Malaya, June 2000.
- “Higher Eduction Management: Staff Development” Regional Workshop on Higher Education for South East Asia and Pacific Countries, Chiang Mai, Thailand, July 2000.
- “Aliran dan Isu Perkembangan Institut Pendidikan Tinggi Malaysia”, Seminar Ulang Tahun ke 30, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, September 2000.
- “Halatuju Pelajar ke Arah Globalisasi” Seminar Perancangan Strategi Hal Ehwal Pelajar IPTA, UiTM, February 2001.
- “Pengkukuhan dan Pengiktirafan Program Ko-kurikulum di IPTA” Bengkel Ko-Kurikulum di IPTA, UKM, March 2001.
- “Perkembangan Institut Pendidikan Tinggi dan Implikasinya kepada Kemajuan Pelajar”, Kolokium Kemampuan Akademik Pelajar Melayu di Institusi Pengajian Tinggi, Genting Highlands, May 2001.
- “Education and Training for the K-based Economy”, Sixth National Civil Service Conference, June 2001.
- “Education in Malaysia : Enhancing Accessibility, Capability and Quality” First International Conference on Education Reform, Bangkok, Thailand, August 2001.
- “Towards 2020 and Beyond : Implication of Malaysia’s Health Manpower Projection for the University – based Education and Training” First National Workshop on Collaborative Research and Teaching with Basic Medical Sciences” Sarawak, Malaysia, November 2001.
- “An overview of Malaysian University”, Malaysia/Australia Joint Seminar on University Management” Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, March 2002.
- “Gejala Sosial di IPTA – Peranan Kementerian Pendidikan Malaysia”, Seminar Perancangan Strategi JAKIM, Alor Setar, Kedah, March 2002.
- “The Role of The Ministry of Education in the Internationalisation of Higher Education”, Strategic Workshop on the Internationalisation of Higher Education, CHEMS, Kuala Lumpur, April 2002.
- “Sistem Pendidikan Tinggi Negara dan Isu Meritokrasi”, Seminar Pendidikan Siri 1, YPEM JPM, Bangi, Selangor July 2002.
- “Pengkorporatan Institusi Pendidikan Tinggi Awam (IPTA)”, Seminar Wawasan Universiti Penyelidikan Malaysia – Indonesia, Genting Highlands, May 2003.
- “Peranan dan Cabaran Bahasa Melayu di Institusi Pendidikan Tinggi”, Seminar Antarabangsa Pengajaran Bahasa Melayu untuk Penuntut Asing, Majlis Antarabangsa Bahasa Melay MABM, Kuala Lumpur, July 2003.
- “Pendidikan Berkualiti: Isu dan Cabaran”, Persidangan ke-3, Perancangan Strategik, Kementerian Pendidikan Malaysia, 13-14 November 2003.
- “Peranan Sains Matematik Dalam Pemantapan Penyelidikan dan Ilmu” Simposium Kebangsaan Sains Matematik ke XI, Universiti Malaysia Sabah, Kota Kinabalu, 22-24 December 2003
- “Managing Higher Education”, International Conference on Management Education, Kuala Lumpur, 28-29 June 2004.
- “Penyelidikan Berkualiti Tunjang Kecermelangan Pendidikan” Konferens Kebangsaan Penyelidikan Pasca Siswazah (GREDU04), Bangi 11 September 2004.
- “Managing Higher Education In Malaysia In The Globalised Business” UNITEN International Business Management Conference, Kuantan, 7 December 2004.
- “A Study On New Funding Formula for Malaysian Public Institutions of Higher Learning”, 2005 KEDI-World Bank Forum, Seoul, Korea, 6-8 April 2005.
- “Pengurusan Ilmu Teras Keutuhan Modal Insan”, Konvensyen Pemimpin Muda UiTM, 24 February 2006.
- “Pendidikan Cemerlang Untuk Pembangunan Modal Insan Generasi Masa”, Seminar Halatuju Pendidikan Negeri Kelantan, Kota Bharu, 18t February 2006.
- “Enhancing Partnership Between Research Universities and Industries”, Malaysian Centre for Service Excellence Centre Conference, Subang, 20 July 2006.
- “The Role Of University in Knowledge and Wealth Generation”, Conference Of Saintific Research, Petaling Jaya, 3 July 2007.
- “The ICT Education In Malaysian Higher Education“,Seameo-Rihed Governing Board Seminar, Jakarta, 24 August 2007.
- “Internationalisation Of Malaysian Higher Education “, European Commission Asialink Symposium, Kuala Lumpur, 7 September 2007.
- “Financing and Providing Tertiary Education in East Asia Pacific: the Malaysia Experience”, East Asia and Pacific Regional Policy Symposium, Yogjakarta, Indonesia, 25-27 August 2008.
- “Private Higher Education: Issues and Challenges”, National Private Higher Education Conference, Putrajaya, Malaysia, 18 – 19 November 2008.
- “Attracting and Retaining Talents: Finding the Next Competitive Edge”, 2nd Annual Higher Education Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 25 – 26 June 2009.
- “Postgraduate Education: Enhancing International Mobility”, Workshop on The Excellence in Postgraduate Education, King Saud University, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 12 – 13 January 2010.
- “Malaysian Higher Education: The Journey and Way Forward”, British Council East Asian Inward Mission Seminar, London, 22 - 24 March, 2010.
- “Transforming Higher Education: Meeting the Global Expectation”, Wawasan Open University National Conference, Kuala Lumpur, 2 – 3 December, 2010
- “Model Baru Ekonomi: Memperkasa Ekonomi Bangsa”, Seminar GABEM, UMS Sabah, 18 January 2011.
- “Ke Arah Kecemerlangan Sukan: Cabaran dan Peluang”, Bengkel Pengurusan dan Pembangunan Sukan Masiswa”. UNITEN, Selangor, 21 – 23 April, 2011.
- “Leadership: The Learning Curve”, DPA Global Talk, INTAN, Kuala Lumpur, 25 April 2011.
- “Private Higher Education in Malaysia: The Learning Curve”, 2011 Gobal Forum, Vancouver, Canada, 27 – 29 May, 2011.
- “Alternative Revenue for University: Effective Utilisation of Talents and Facilities”, Global Higher Education Forum (GHEF 11), Penang, Malaysia, 13 – 15 December, 2011.
- “Global Clusters: Communication and Network”, Seminar on the Architecture of University Management, Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris, Malaysia, 19 February, 2012.
- “Organisasi Lean: Memenuhi Cabaran Pengurusan Masa Depan”, Persidangan Kebangsaan Pentadbiran Organisasi, Universiti Malaysia Terengganu, 15 March, 2012.
- ”Transformational Teaching and Learning for the New Generation”, Seminar on Leadership and Educational Transformation, Kuala Lumpur 12 May 2012.
- “Isu dan Cabaran Pendidikan Negara” National Education Forum, Kuala Lumpur, 14 -15 September 2012
- “Restructuring University for The Global Challenges in Higher Education”, King Saud University Restructuring Symposium, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 7-8 October 2012.
- “Shred the Fat: Towards a Leaner Public Service”, Persidangan Perkhidmatan Awam Malaysia ke 17, Kuala Lumpur, 1- 2 November 2012.
- “Financial Sustainability: Lessons from Private Higher Learning Institutions” Forum on Strategic Approach in Transforming Higher Education Financing in Malaysia, 6 -7 December 2012.
- “Research Informed Teaching: enhancing Learning Experience and Innovation”, Conference on International Higher Education (CIHE 2013), Kuala Lumpur, 18 - 19 March 2013.
- “Memperkasakan Sains Matematik”, Simposium Sains Matematik ke 21 “, Penang, 6 – 8 November , 2013
- “Public and Private Universities in Malaysia: Do We Need to Harmonise them?’, Global Higher Education Forum 2013, Putrajaya, 4 – 6 December 2013.
- “ Impact on Student Mobility”, Observatory Conference, London, 11 – 12 December 2013.
- “ Business and Community Development: Taylor’s Experience”, The 5th Prime Regional Forum Asia, Kuala Lumpur, 13 November 2014.
- “Leadership in Private University: Some Best Practices”, Asia Pacific Conference on Educational Management and Leadership (APCEMal 2014), Johor Bahru, 24 – 26 November, 2014.
- “Global Market Driven Higher Education”, QS Summer School Summit, Kuala Lumpur, 3 – 4 December, 2014.
- “Innovation in Higher Education: Way Forward”, Wacana Intelektual, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 23 April, 2015.
- “Transformative Leadership for Future University”, Leadership Knowledge Sharing Series, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, 22 June, 2015.
- “Educating Graduates to be Adaptable Professionals”, OIC Higher Education Fair, Kuala Lumpur, 26 – 29 October 2015.
- “Malaysian Public University: Producing Global Intellectuals and Ranking”, Konvensyen Akademik Kebangsaan Universiti Awam Malaysia, AKEPT, 19 – 20 September 2016.
International Conferences Attended
- Third FRANCO - SEAMS Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 1985.
- International Council for Distance Education XIII World Conference, Melbourne, Australia, 1985.
- First ASEAN Science and Technology Week Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 1986.
- ASAIHL Seminar, Hong Kong, 1986.
- Fourth FRANCO - SEAMS Conference, Chiangmai, Thailand, 1988
- International Congress of Mathematicians, Kyoto, Japan, 1990.
- 5th International Conference on Engineering computer Graphics and Description Geometry, Melbourne, Australia, 1992.
- International Conference on Applied Analysis, Hanoi, Vietnam, 1993.
- International Conference on Computer Aided Geometric Design, Penang, Malaysia, 1994.
- Seminar on Free Form Curves and Surfaces, Mathematical Research Institute, Oberwolfach, Germany, 1995.
- First Asian – Pacific Conference on Higher Education, Tainan, Taiwan, 1996.
- First SEAMEO – UNESCO Prop Regional Conference on Higher Education, Penang, Malaysia, 1996.
- World Congress on Higher Education and Human Resource Development in the Asia-pacific, Manila, 1997.
- First International Forum on Education Reform, Bangkok, Thailand, 2001.
- Conference on the Globalisation and Higher Education, Oslo, Norway, 2003.
- UNESCO World Congress on Higher Education, Paris, France, 2003.
- KEDI - World Bank Forum, Korea, April 2005.
- Education Leaders Forum, UNESCO, Paris, July 2008.
Major Contribution to Computer Aided Geometric Design (CAGD)
Responsible for introducing a new class of blending functions, namely Generalised Ball Basis functions (sometimes referred to as Said Basis functions). The basis functions are used for designing curves and surfaces and possess properties similar to the Bezier Basis functions. However, in certain applications, these basis functions have superior result than the Bezier basis.
*CV UPDATED NOVEMBER 2016